Dental implants are one of the most common dental procedures performed each year. This is because roughly 69% of adults between the ages of 35 and 45 have one or more missing teeth and require a dental implant in order to restore their smile.
How Long Does It Take To Get Dental Implants?
The length of the procedure for dental implants varies based on a number of factors. These include:
- The number of teeth involved
- Your current oral health
- Whether or not you are having a tooth extracted prior to the implant
- The specific teeth that you need implants for
- And more
If you want to know the precise amount of time that it may take to get your implant, schedule a dental appointment at one of our studios to speak with a dentist about your implant needs.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is inserted to act as a tooth root for individuals missing one or more teeth. Dental implants are made out of titanium or zirconia posts inserted into the jawbone to attach a bridge, crown, or denture.
The 5 Dental Implant Procedure Steps
If you have scheduled your dental implant surgery, your procedure will likely follow these five steps:
- Dental Exam and Consultation. This is when your dentist may take X-rays and 3D images in order to create accurate models of your teeth and jaw structure.
- Dental Implants Procedure. After the initial exam and consultation, impressions will be taken of your mouth, extractions made (if necessary), and bone grafting will be done (if needed).
- Postoperative Recovery. You may experience pain, minor bleeding, swelling, or slight bruising after the operation. To reduce these unpleasant symptoms, you may need to take medication or apply an ice pack to your face for several days following the procedure.
- Abutment and Crown Fitting. After the implant is secured and has integrated into your jawbone, an abutment will be attached to the implant.
- Post-Operative Care For Dental Implants. Make sure to carefully follow your dentist’s instructions regarding post-operative care to ensure maximal healing in a minimal timeframe.
5 Benefits of Dental Implants
Five of the best advantages that dental implants offer include:
- They operate in the same way as natural teeth and make chewing and eating easier.
- Oral hygiene remains the same with dental implants like natural teeth (no need to change your regiment!).
- Dental implants do not shift and also prevent the teeth surrounding them from shifting — meaning that your jawbone structure is maintained.
- Dental implants can be used to fill in gappy teeth.
- Dental implants are a long-term solution and can last for many years.
Dental Implants Recovery Time & Tips
Recovery time depends on a number of factors and potential complications.
The following four things could affect recovery speed and ease:
- The number of teeth that received an implant.
- Jawbone health (how easy is it for the implant to adhere to the bone?).
- Whether or not the dental implant procedure requires bone grafting.
- The oral health of the individual.
Five tips that may help expedite recovery include:
- Try to consume only soft, nutrient-dense foods during your recovery, as this will ensure that you don’t injure the surgery site.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking during the recovery period as they can inhibit recovery.
- Don’t drink using a straw as this could inhibit healing by causing blood and tissue to go to the wound site.
- Maintain good oral hygiene by continuing to brush and floss regularly and using a mild mouthwash. Do not brush vigorously, as this could damage the surgery site!
- Understand that recovery time will vary dramatically from person to person. This is both normal and to be expected. However, if you have any concerns, always discuss them with your dentist.
Dental Implants Procedure Cost
The cost of a dental implant procedure will vary slightly depending on the type of dental studio you go to, how many implants you need, your oral health, and other factors.
In general, the average price range for one dental implant can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $4,000. To get a more concrete estimate for the cost of your dental implants, schedule a consultation at The Chicago Dental Studio.
Visit a Dental Implants Studio Today
Our dental studio focuses on doing dentistry the right way. We offer each of our clients a premium and personalized dental experience, unrivaled by other dentists in the Chicago area.
If you are ready to take your dental health to the next level, schedule a consultation at The Chicago Dental Studio today.